Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2011

What Simply Willing Hands Can Do

Last Thursday, Thanksgiving, Dad, Me and Robert helped at the Community Thanksgiving dinner.  I said the night before, that I wondered what I would be doing to help.  Well...Steve had said that Delores, the lady that had answered the phones for "to-go" orders in past years, had broken her hand, and they were looking for someone to answer the phones.  I was like, "I don't want to do that!!!"   But...: ) when we got to the church it was at, arriving around 9:00am, Steve took me saying something like, "I have a job for you." And there was a Lady sitting there in the basement that said the phones were already ringing...I get to answer the phones?!  We went straight to the office, Steve said, "You think you can answer phones?"  Me: "I guess so..."  Steve: "I bet you can."   He showed the "Order" cards and what info I would right down on them.  And, he already had some orders HAND written down on a paper and he wanted me to copy them onto the order cards...I wasn't sure if I could do it.  Scary moments. : )  Well...I got most of it copied down...with the help God!  I just had a couple that I had questions...like one I couldn't tell what he had written, and the Casey's I wasn't sure if it was in Newton or Hesston.  When I asked Steve about them the one was, "Food MART, and there was 3 Casey's, one in Newton and 2 in Hesston.  The Kings daughter came up and she helped and wrote out the card for the Casey's in Hess. that is by the interstate.  I just realized...that she was like thinking out loud the address.  I am not sure Steve had the address written down so it was a good thing she was there.


 So, while I was writing out the orders on the cards, the phone never rang.  A fact for which I was grateful! ; )  But, it WAS ringing in the kitchen but the phone in the office never rang!  There was this button HF blinking or just lite up, on the phone.  And, I said maybe we need to push some buttons or something.  Steph did but it didn't help...it may have just made the button blink..not sure.  Anyway, the church secretary came, and she couldn't get it to ring either.  The way only way you could tell people were calling was when Line 1 or Line 2 lite up.  There was another office off of the first one, and the phone in there would ring. They ended up bringing that one into the doorway, and set it on a chair and Heather, answered that phone.  And while they were messing with the phone, people were calling!  Pretty Crazy!!  I think it was while I was on the phone, yes...Heather came in!  It was fun to see her!  We had fun telling about the funny ways people acted not being able to hear them and understand them.  I think I might have been a little bit to...making fun, and maybe not having as good of a caring attitude as I should have.  But it was actually kinda fun!  And, Really good experience! God really helped me too, I was in my chair and asked Him to help me...and He did!  I could not have done that by myself!  There was this one lady that called, and I could NOT understand her.  I though she was like German or something.  Part of the time I thought she could be speaking another language! ; )  I was able to get what she wanted...thankfully! ...she wanted to be picked up for the meal.  The man that picked her up said she talked all the way from Hesston and he couldn't understand a word!  He just laughed...and she laughed.: D  They said after it was all over and we were just sitting around a table eating pumpkin desert that Jackie made, "who knows, you could have agreed to marry her next week!" That was bye far the worst call!!!    (Jackie was helping with the carry outs!! : )   But over all it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  It actually was kinda fun!!!
Now to the title of the post!  We were able to serve about 300 delivered/carry out meals, and total(carry outs and people eating at church), there were around 900 meals served.   And, I was amazed at how quickly they cleaned up...before you know that mess was cleaned up!  I didn't help to much on that part!!!  So lets think of how this applies to everyday circumstances.  Be willing to do whatever the Lord has you do, and ask Him for HIS help...He Will be with you.  And, know that the Lord can do Big things when you just serve...and don't just serve for fun, do it for the Lord...I'm so not perfect!  But I am learning!
We set up our tree on Mon. before Thanksgiving. : )  Here on some pictures from that night...and yes I did have to much fun taking pictures of the tree and ornaments. ; )


 The Food!  When Mom was little, her family would have a snaky dinner the night they decorated the their tree, and "watch" the Christmas lights.  So, Mom has kept that tradition and we usually do that too!  We watched a movie though while we ate our dinner.  We are so blessed!


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, the above comment that has been removed by me, was just a test...by me to see if blogger would send me an email if someone commented! : D

    ReplyDelete